Document Print/Save as PDF
Last updated: 18-07-2023. From web page: Register a death.
Terms and Conditions for Death appointments
Terms and Conditions
- We ask that appointments are booked online unless:
- You need to register the death and/or birth of your baby or child. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- The booking system will only allow you to book an appointment once all processes have been completed from the surgery and/or the medical examiner’s office and/or the coroner and the registrars and uploaded to the appointment booking system. If the system is telling you that you are not able to book an appointment, this could be for one of 2 reasons – the paperwork is not fully processed and uploaded to the system, or the details entered do not match with any paperwork we may hold.
- Due to charges made for consideration of any corrections by General Register Office, we ask that you bring with you evidence to show the following information about the deceased and yourself:
- The deceased’s birth certificate, and/or passport and any change of name documents.
- Their NHS number (medical card/ recorded on the top of a prescription)
- Proof of their usual address such as driving licence or utility bill
- Their marriage/legal civil partnership certificate
- Death certificate of spouse or legal civil partner
- Your passport and/or, Driving licence and/or, Proof of your address.
- We will endeavour to see you at your allotted appointment time, however this may not always be possible if:
- Our systems have gone down.
- You are not a qualified informant.
- You do not have sufficient information about the deceased.
- The death occurred outside of Southampton City, and you have declined to register by declaration.
- You are more than 5 minutes late for your appointment.
- After the registration you will receive:
- As many death certificates as you have purchased, at a cost of £11.00 each. If you paid for the certificates at the time of booking the appointment, you will receive the number you requested at that time. You can purchase additional certificates at the appointment. If the system is down, these certificates will have to be sent onto you once the system is back up.
- A Tell-us-once reference number which will enable you to complete Tell us Once either on-line or by telephone, to deal with any local or central government funds. If our system is down, this information will be sent to you via email or post as soon as possible afterwards once the system is back-up.
- The green form will be scanned directly to your chosen funeral director and /or crematorium, or burial place.
- Parking spaces at the offices are limited and not guaranteed. There is on the road parking which is chargeable.