Deaths are required by law to be registered within five days (including Weekends and Bank Holidays) unless the coroner is involved.
Who can register a death?
You can register the death if you are:
- A relative
- Someone who was present at the death
- An administrator at the hospital
- The person making the arrangements with the funeral directors
Who do I register a death with?
Deaths should be registered in the district where they occur. This may not be the same district where the person lived. Southampton Register Office can only register deaths that have occurred in the City of Southampton.
When to register a death with Southampton Register Office
If the death you wish to register occurred at one of the following locations you should register the death with Southampton Register Office:
- General Hospital, Southampton
- Princess Anne Hospital
- Royal South Hants Hospital (RSH)
- Spire Southampton Hospital
- A death occurring at a home address within the Southampton City Council boundary. This is essentially postcode areas SO14–SO19. However, there are some exceptions, so please check with the local authority of the area where you should register the death
Book a death registration appointment with Southampton Register Office.
If the death didn't occur in Southampton
You can make a declaration of the facts at any Register Office in England or Wales. However, using this process may delay the funeral arrangements. There is no charge for registering a death by declaration at another office, although you will not receive any paperwork including the death certificates at the appointment as these will be issued from that office once they have registered it.
Register a death in Hampshire
If the death occurred at one of the locations listed below, as examples, you will need to register the death in the Hampshire registration district:
- Countess Mountbatten House, (Hospice) West End
- Royal County Hospital, Winchester
- Any home address outside our city boundary. You can find your local council at GOV.UK
Register a death in Hampshire.