Access to children's social care records

We keep records of everyone who uses our Children's Social Care service. The only people who can access your records are those who need to see them in relation to providing you with the care you need. Under the Data Protection Act 2018 you are allowed to see a copy of your files.

If you require access to adoption records, this is a separate process. Please view our adoption pages for further information.

To apply to see your social care records, please complete the Subject Access Request online form.

Subject Access Requests can be made either using our online form or verbally. To enable the Council to deal with your request accurately and efficiently, it is better to make these requests in writing by completing our online Subject Access Request online form.


Before you fill in this form

You won't be able to save this form to complete later, so please allow yourself 5-10 minutes to fill in the form.

We will aim to provide you with a response to your request within one calendar month.

To verify your identity and to ensure that your information is only disclosed to you, you will need to provide us with the following:

  • Proof of identity, like a copy of your passport, driving licence, or other document showing your name and signature
  • Household bill within the last 3 months, like a council tax or utility bill, showing your name and address
  • If you are making a request on behalf of someone else, we will ask for evidence showing your entitlement or authority to do so

Make a Subject Access Request

For more information about accessing your own information, please visit the Information Commissioner’s website.

If you wish to view records for adult social care visit Accessing adult social care records