Other people's children's social care records

Seeing a living person's children's social care records

Someone else’s records can only be seen if they give their permission. This also applies if they are a close relative.  Parents can only see their child’s records if they have legal parental responsibility. If the child can give consent, their permission must be sought.

To see someone else’s records, whether you are a relative, solicitor or someone advocating on someone’s behalf, you need to:

Follow instructions and complete the form on the apply for your social care records page and provide proof of your own identity.

Send us the completed form along with written authorisation from the person whose records you are requesting. This authorisation must say that they agree to you seeing their records and that this agreement was given willingly. We will need to contact them to confirm authorisation.

Applying on behalf of someone else 

If someone using our services is unable to apply themselves, you can apply on their behalf if:

  • You have parental responsibility for them
  • You are the person named on a Court Protection Order
  • You have enduring and legally valid power of attorney for them
  • You are their advocate

If you are acting on behalf of someone, but you don’t have an official right to do so (as listed above), please contact us using the details below.

Email: information@southampton.gov.uk 

Adoption records

Adoption records are covered by the Adoption Act 1976 and the Adoption Agencies Regulations 1983.

Arrangements to see adoption records are usually made through our post-adoption team, they can be contacted on 023 8083 2978. There is no charge for seeing adoption records.

Appealing against a decision

If you have been refused access to social care records and you wish to appeal against the decision you can write to the

Director for People
Civic Centre
Southampton SO14 7LY

If you are not satisfied with the response received from the relevant Executive Director, you can write to the Information Commissioner for a ruling on the decision. The address is:

Information Commissioner
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

If you wish to see adult social care records for another person visit Other people's adult social care records.