Why is it important to set boundaries?
- Setting boundaries can serve to make children feel safe in a world that otherwise feels out of control
- It's a good thing to occasionally give children responsibility for their own safety
How can you set boundaries?
- Make a visual poster and ask children to help
- Age appropriate books are available to help reinforce your message
- Offer praise and positive attention when a child keeps within the boundaries you have set
- Try different methods of setting boundaries until you find something that works for your family
For advice on setting boundaries for older children and teenagers you can visit the Relate website.