This course explores the use of Nurture Groups as a therapeutic tool for inclusion.
It covers the practicalities of setting up and running successful Nurture Groups in primary and secondary schools, including consideration of the Boxall Profile, the physical environment, group dynamics, activities to develop social and emotional skills, and supporting successful transitions.
Time will also be spent thinking about how we can build a sense of belonging for Nurture Group children, and create a nurturing whole-school environment. The course will also cover Attachment Theory, as the theoretical basis for Nurture Groups, and will provide an overview of the evidence-base in support of the intervention.
Length of course
One day - session delivered virtually on Zoom
Who should attend?
As well as being an ideal ‘refresher’ day for experienced Nurture Group practitioners wishing to revisit the principles of Nurture Groups and to gain fresh ideas to take back to their group, this course is also ideally suited to those who are just beginning to work in a Nurture Group, or who are considering setting up a new Group.
You will be able to:
- Understand how and why Nurture Groups can be used in schools as a therapeutic tool for inclusion.
- Understand the practicalities of setting up and running successful Nurture Groups, including using the Boxall Profile, balancing social-emotional and academic activities, and managing group dynamics.
- Understand the principles of Attachment Theory, and the main research findings from this area. Recognise what this tells us about how we might support children’s needs within Nurture Groups.
- Consider how to promote a sense of belonging for Nurture Group children, and how to build a nurturing whole-school environment.
New dates coming soon
Prices for this course
Southampton City Council maintained schools and PVI Early Years & Childcare providers and voluntary organisations: £125
Academies, free schools and other organisations: £150
Before you fill in this form
You won't be able to save this form to complete later, so please allow yourself ten minutes to fill it in.
- Payment card details (unless free course or using invoice)
If you would like to be notified of any updates on courses please sign up here to receive these updates.