Industry, waste disposal and accidental spillages of contaminants can cause contamination of land. If not dealt with, it can be a threat to human health, the environment and the development of the city.
As regulator, landowner and planning authority the City Council is responsible for ensuring that:
- the land in its area is suitable for its current use
- land in its area is made suitable for any new use
- that land recognised as being "contaminated" is made suitable for its current or proposed use
- it leads by example, when managing contamination on its own land
The council's Regulatory Services - Scientific Services carries out the council's duties in respect to the Part IIA regime.
- act as advisor to other council departments about land contamination
- maintain records on land quality
- assess site investigations provided with redevelopments proposals to ensure they comply with UK policy
- oversee remediation schemes to ensure sites are suitable for use