Report abuse or concerns about an adult

If you are worried that an adult may be at risk of abuse or harm please contact us.

Use the anonymous form below or, if an adult is in immediate danger, contact the police by telephoning 999.

Report abuse or concerns

Referral form for professionals

The following will help you understand how reports about safeguarding concerns for adults and vulnerable people are dealt with.  Please remember that any abuse is unacceptable. If you believe a crime has been committed please contact the Police.

What you can do if you think someone is being abused

  • Take action - don’t assume that someone else is doing something about the situation
  • If anyone is injured get a doctor or ambulance
  • Make a note of your concerns, what happened and any action you take
  • Let us know by either telephoning us or completing our form
  • All safeguarding matters will be dealt with confidentially, though if the issues concern evidence of a crime, or unacceptable risk, this may be shared with the appropriate authorities
  • If you think a criminal offence has been committed, contact the police straight away

If you think you are being abused or mistreated, contact us, either by phone or by completing the form.

What will happen next?

Adult Services work closely with other organisations and the person affected to find out as much as possible about what has happened. We will do a number of things which might include:

  • Talking to you and other people involved to find out what has happened
  • Planning what to do to safeguard the person being abused
  • Supporting the person and their carers through the process
  • Being available to offer support in the future

All safeguarding matters will be dealt with confidentially. However, if the issues concern evidence of a crime, or unacceptable risk, this may be shared with the appropriate authorities.

Protecting adults from abuse and harm is a significant concern and from April 2015, a statutory duty for public organisations in Southampton. These include Southampton City Council, Hampshire Constabulary, the Probation Service, Care Quality Commission and the NHS.  They work in partnership to provide information and details on how to report abuse where it concerns an adult.

Perhaps you, or someone you know, is being harmed or living in fear of abuse and wants to stay safe.  The Speak Out easy read leaflet gives more information on how you can get help.


Telephone: 023 8083 3003

Address: Adult social care, Southampton City Council Civic Centre, Southampton, SO14 7LY