Finding the right tenant for your property can be a lengthy and uncertain process.
The Private Rented Service may help you find a tenant for your property. We are a tenant finding service that provides support for landlords and tenants for the first year of the tenancy. We can also provide you with specialist information and advice to assist you in managing your property.
What does the service offer for landlords
As a landlord you will have certain responsibilities and legal duties towards your tenant. By registering with our service, we can help you in managing your tenant and property and help minimise the risks that can lead to financial loss.
List of services we offer SHOW
The services are offered free of charge, to both landlord and tenant.
- View empty accommodation and make recommendations on repairs, maintenance, and improvement issues.
- Take photographs of the property in its current empty condition and make a written report for the property file with a copy available to landlord and prospective tenants.
- Re-view the property, update, and re-photograph after agreed repairs or maintenance has been carried out.
- Ensure all properties let have relevant gas, electricity, and energy performance checks.
- Offer a rent bond for duration of the tenancy offered.
- Find prospective tenants for the property who would otherwise be homeless or threatened with homelessness.
- Arrange a meeting between landlord and tenant to view property and discuss tenancy conditions. To allow both parties to decide whether they are happy to proceed.
- Supply all legal stationary for the tenancy sign up.
- Offer some tenancy support for the duration of the bond (six or 12 months)
- Include telephone contact with tenant and home visits. Carry out regular checks with the landlord to ensure the tenancy is being sustained.
- Home visit to be made for resettlement between the first and third month.
- Some assistance with mediation between landlord and tenant if required. This mediation would remain impartial to both parties.
- Send reminders to current tenants under the bond who may have breached their tenancy in some way, for example, rent arrears or are not saving monthly to replace the bond after the initial tenancy period.
- Remain impartial and not take sides.
- Offer good quality landlord and tenant advice wherever possible to prevent a tenant facing homelessness once again.
- We will deal with claims against the bond scheme within 28 days of receiving relevant proofs in accordance with the Authority’s Bond Procedure.
- Give landlords the choice of six month tenancies or 12 month tenancies, however, we would encourage long term lets for resettlement purposes and to lower any void costs.
- Assist with Universal Credit claims for housing costs.
What we cannot offer SHOW
- We cannot offer a full referencing service for prospective tenants.
- We will not pass on private and confidential information without the person’s consent.
- We will not divulge ‘move on’ addresses; however, we can forward on post for a period of three months after the tenant vacates.
- We will not make judgements on prospective tenants’ lifestyle choices.
- We will not be held responsible for any change of circumstances concerning the prospective tenant after the date of sign up or the day the information checks were made. The checks include income proofs, family size, immigration status, reason for their current homelessness, etc.
- We are not responsible for moving tenants on should the tenancy start to fail. However, we will offer advice to both parties whenever possible.
- We will not pay any monies owed by the tenant and will not guarantee the rent payments.
- We will not tolerate inappropriate, offensive language or behaviour towards our staff or customers. Failure to adhere to this statement will result in Landlords or Tenants not being able to participate in this service.
Request or find out more about the Private Rented Service
If you are a landlord and would like further information please contact us.
Before you fill in this form
You won't be able to save this form to complete later, so please allow yourself at least five minutes to fill in the form.
Telephone: 023 8083 2977