Listed building consent, working on a listed building

If you are considering any works to a listed building, you usually need to obtain Listed Building Consent. It is separate from Planning Permission and Building Regulations Approval.

Applying for listed building consent

Apply online for listed building consent (Planning Portal) or you can download the relevant documents

To support a listed building consent application it is usually necessary to supply detailed drawings showing the building as it exists now, and separate drawings detailing the proposed changes. A building recording condition may be imposed on the consent, requiring the building to be professionally recorded before works commence. We can assist in providing building recording specifications and a list of archaeological contractors capable of carrying out the work.

More information from Historic England on listed building consent.

Contact the Conservation Officer: If you are planning to do any work to your building and are unsure if you need consent, it is always safer to ask first. You should always discuss the proposed works with the conservation officer well in advance to check whether listed building consent will be needed.

More information

Listing covers the whole of the building, both inside and out: Many people think that listing only covers the facades, but this is not true. In certain circumstances features within the curtilage of the building such as outbuildings, walls, railings or objects (for instance lamp standards, statues, sundials, etc) may also be protected. Curtilage normally means the boundary of the property.

It is an offence to carry out unauthorised works to a listed building: Penalties can be severe, in the form of unlimited fines, or even imprisonment. The city council can prosecute offenders or serve a listed building enforcement notice on the owner to restore the building to its former state.

Listed Building Consent is required for the following works: (This list is not exhaustive.)

  • Demolition, alteration or extension of a wall or structure forming part of that building or attached to it
  • Altering or replacing any of the doors or windows (including replacing timber windows with secondary glazed frames or plastic/uPVC windows)
  • Removal of external features such as finials, chimney stacks or pots¬†
  • Painting, rendering, repointing or cleaning brick or stone walls
  • Fixing or removing bargeboards, window shutters, replacing cast iron gutters / down pipes with plastic
  • Building porches, conservatories or other extensions
  • Fixing signs or advertisements to buildings
  • Replacing natural materials (such as stone) with concrete, plastic etc
  • Demolition or alteration to internal walls
  • Removing interior features such as doors, fireplaces, staircases, panelling etc
  • Altering roofing materials eg. replacing clay tiles with concrete