A conservation area is an area of special historical or architectural interest that Southampton City Council intends to preserve or enhance. There are 20 conservation areas in Southampton, designated under the powers of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990.
Within a conservation area, the council has extra controls over a number of factors including proposals to demolish and construct buildings, and the protection of trees. These controls also effect areas adjacent to conservation areas.
Areas of interest include:
- Conservation area appraisals and other documents
- Buildings in conservation areas
- Trees in conservation areas
- Interactive map showing the conservation areas
- Our policy on conservation areas and development is outlined in the Local Plan.