Emergency accommodation

If you are under 16, social services have a duty to provide emergency accommodation for you. This may be with a family or in a hostel, bed and breakfast (B&B), or similar.

Councils have a duty to help with emergency accommodation for over 16s. The amount of help varies from council to council. It may only be phone numbers for the nearest night shelter or homeless shelter.

You will probably have little choice in where you can go, and will usually have to make your own way there.

Emergency accommodation is normally not to a high standard. It is for emergencies only, when you cannot find anywhere else to stay.

If you are in a difficult situation, you can get support and referrals over housing by accessing the No Limits advice centre.

You can also view more information about homelessness advice.