Early intervention is the key to successfully prevent homelessness.
If you are threatened with homelessness and have children or vulnerable members in your household, seek specialist advice and assistance from the homelessness advice service.
If you want to know how The Homelessness Reduction Act may impact you please see: The Homelessness Reduction Act 2017
If you are a professional, you can advise us of your Duty to Refer a homeless household under the Homelessness Reduction Act.
How to contact us
In the first instance, please complete this form.
During office hours you can contact us on telephone number 023 8083 2327 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are homeless as a result of an emergency outside of normal office hours, you can contact the council’s out of hours service on 023 8023 3344.
The homelessness unit can be telephoned for an appointment, or emergency cases can be directly referred by Gateway.
Homelessness Unit telephone hours
Monday 8:30am to 4:30pm
Tuesday 8:30am to 4:30pm
Wednesdays 10am to 4:30pm
Thursdays 8:30am to 4:30pm
Fridays 8:30am to 4pm
Gateway opening hours
Monday to Friday, 9:30am to 4:30pm
In most instances we can help to keep you in your existing home. If this is not possible we will offer you decent affordable housing solutions with a minimum use of emergency accommodation where possible.
A housing advisor will guide you through all the options available to you so that you can make an informed choice. For example:
- Advice/assistance on reducing your rent arrears when that is the cause of your being threatened with homelessness
- Mediation and support to ensure a young person or young family can remain at home safely and responsibly
- Submission of an application for Social Housing
- Looking at alternative accommodation in a planned and productive way
- Referral to the Homeseeker Lettings Service who may be able to assist you with privately rented accommodation or help you access various deposit schemes
- We can help you access welfare rights and money advice
- We will mediate with your landlord on your behalf in order to prevent or delay homelessness
- If your home is at risk of being repossessed by a mortgage company, we can refer you to a specialist money advice team and negotiate on your behalf with the company or the courts