Other homelessness support services

Being homeless or threatened with homelessness is a really scary thing. It could be that you've been kicked out of home, or you're at risk of violence, or that you can no longer stay in your current property. Whatever the reason, there are steps you can take to ensure that you do not end up on the streets.

If you are homeless or currently threatened with homelessness, seek specialist advice and assistance from the homelessness advice service.

Contact the homelessness advice service

Alternatively, there are also the following support services available. 

No Limits advice centre

If you are homeless or at risk of homelessness, you can drop in to the No Limits advice centre. There you can get a referral to youth housing projects or floating support workers. You can use the phone and newspapers to find private rented accommodation, and for support if you have run away.

You can find out what sort of accommodation you can get and what money you might need to pay for it. They will help you work through a budget to see if you can afford it. You can also attend an Access to Tenancy training course to make sure you know all you need to know about living independently.

You can also find out how to access a Rent Bond if you can't afford a deposit. Homeless young people can access shower and laundry facilities, toiletries and clean clothes.

View the No Limits advice centre website


You can also call any of the following for free:

  • Shelter Helpline: 0808 800 44 44
  • Get Connected: 0808 808 4994
  • ChildLine: 0800 1111
  • Samaritans: 116 123

Under 16s

If you are under 16 or have been in care, contact Southampton Children's Resource Service. They have a duty to provide accommodation for you and to help with your situation. Children's Services offices are open

  • 8.30am-5pm Monday to Thursday
  • 8.30am-4.30pm on Fridays

You can get in touch with them by calling 023 8083 3004.

You can also contact them in the evenings and at weekends on 023 8023 3344. You will be put through to social workers and other specialists. This number can be used to get emergency help when offices are closed.

Over 16s

Local councils have a legal duty to provide help to people who are homeless or threatened with homelessness. The level of help will depend on your circumstances, whether you:

  • are 'eligible for assistance'
  • in 'priority need',
  • became homeless deliberately
  • have a link to the area.

The rules on eligibility are quite complex. Therefore, you need to get down to your local council's housing department as soon as possible to register as homeless.

Remember, you can make an application before you become homeless, if you know that is what is going to happen.

Contact us: