Disability adaptations in private homes

If you have a disability and need help managing daily activities at home, our team of Housing Occupational Therapists (OTs) and Occupational Therapy Assistants (OTAs) can recommend home adaptations to make your life easier and help you apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG).

How can I request an assessment?

You can use our online self-assessment tool to explore your options. The self-assessment can be referred to us if a full assessment is recommended.

Care self-assessment

What happens after my Occupational Therapist has visited?

If we recommend a major adaptation, your home will be assessed by a Grant Officer to check the work is feasible.

  • If the work is feasible, your Grant Officer will help you get quotes for the work and complete the DFG application.
  • If it is not feasible, we may be able to explore alternatives. Occasionally, it isn’t possible to adapt a home and you may need to consider moving.

If you rent your home, your Grant Officer will need to ask permission from your landlord or housing association for any work to be completed.

If you are planning to move home in the next few years, you should discuss this with your Grant Officer. There may be a cost levied against the sale of the property to cover the cost of any adaptations completed.

How long will I have to wait for the feasibility check and for the work to begin?

Waiting times will depend on your assessed priority and can change due to demands on the service. There is currently a high demand on the service and waiting times have been impacted due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Therefore, the current wait time for standard cases may be two years for completion. If there is a significant change in your medical condition, please contact our team.

Will I have to pay for my adaptation?

If you own your home or rent it from a housing association or private landlord, you can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG). Please complete and return the initial financial assessment form for a DFG as soon as possible. Your case will not be allocated to a Grant Officer before this is received. This is not the full assessment, but it will give an indication of whether you will qualify for a full grant, some grant funding, or no grant. If you are on a means-tested benefit you will definitely be eligible for a full grant. Even if you think you won’t qualify, you should still apply. Sometimes other funding may be available based on your assessed needs.

Who is responsible for maintenance of my adaptation?

If a stair lift is installed, you can choose to waive your ownership of it, meaning it will be owned and maintained by Southampton City Council or your housing association. (Housing associations cover maintenance only after your five-year warranty, which is included in your grant, expires.) For all other adaptations, contractors usually provide a one-year warranty. After this, maintenance is your responsibility. Private landlords or housing associations may agree to take responsibility for the adaptation, but this is at their discretion.

Where can I get more information?

Please download our leaflet for more details.