Support for people who hoard

Stock image of someone in need of support with hoarding

We can support people who struggle to part with items which are taking up too much space in their homes. This is sometimes known as:

  • Cluttering
  • Collecting
  • Compulsive shopping
  • Disorganisation
  • Hoarding

If you or someone you know has too many items which are impacting on the intended use of rooms (for example, no longer able to sleep in their bedroom, bathe in their bathroom or cook in their kitchen), then our independence advisor may be able to help.

How can the independence advisor help?

The independence advisor can visit you or the person you are worried about, and work with them to start turning their house back into their home. We will help the person create an achievable action plan based on their individual needs and views, which might include support with some of the following tasks:

  • Organising or sorting through possessions
  • Arranging a deep clean for their home
  • Helping them talk to their landlord, environmental health or other agencies who want them to make changes
  • Identifying and accessing social groups
  • Getting advice about improving their personal safety and fire safety
  • Accessing support for their mental health and wellbeing
  • Providing advice and guidance for other things the person wants to achieve


If you or someone you know could benefit from this support, please talk to them about it.

If you then decide to work with our independence advisor, please make a referral through our form:


Before you fill in this form

You won't be able to save this form to complete later, so please allow yourself a couple of minutes to fill in the form.

Report a concern about an adult

You can also make a referral by phone. Contact Adult Social Care Connect on 023 8083 3003.

What happens next?

Once your referral is received, we will make sure the right worker gets in touch with the person to offer help and support. This may not be the independence advisor if a more appropriate kind of support is identified.

You can find more information about hoarding and support for people who hoard at the following websites: