Archaeology Unit: archaeological services for developers
Southampton City Council's Archaeology Unit conducts archaeological work in the city and the surrounding areas on sites of all periods and types.
Services offered by the Archaeology Unit
We have extensive knowledge of the area and have been working with developers since 1992.
You may need a desk-top study, a field survey, or an evaluation prior to submitting an application, or a watching brief, excavation or building survey as a condition of your planning permission.
We can carry them out quickly and efficiently. If you want to make the most of the archaeology of your site we have experience in display work and site presentation.
- Archaeological consultancy and advice
- Preliminary site assessments
- Site evaluations
- Watching briefs on construction sites
- Small-scale and large rescue excavations
- Site display schemes
- Landscape and archaeological surveys
- Academic and popular publications of research
- Graphics and displays
Resources available online
Unpublished Fieldwork Reports at ADS
Tel: 023 8083 2022
Dr. Andy Russel
Archaeology Unit Manager
Unit 18 Melbourne Street