Benefits advice - Unemployed

If you are unemployed or in between jobs you are entitled to support. It is also a good idea to check your entitlement to payments from former employers e.g. unfair dismissal, compensation, wages in lieu of notice, redundancy pay.

Universal Credit is a new benefit that is replacing many of the current benefits and tax credits with a single monthly payment. It is designed to support working age people with their basic living expenses and housing costs. It is gradually being introduced across the country and will replace the following benefits:

  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support 
  • Child Tax Credits 
  • Working Tax Credits
  • Housing Benefit (some exceptions apply)

Universal Credit

If you are a single jobseeker looking for work you may be required to claim Universal Credit rather than Jobseeker's Allowance.

Find out more about Universal Credit

New Style Jobseeker's Allowance

This benefit is for people who are unemployed or who work less than 16 hours a week and who are actively seeking work, are capable of work, and are available for work.

Find out more about New Style Jobseeker’s Allowance

Housing Benefit 

Housing Benefit can help support you if you and/or your partner have to pay rent and are on a low income.

Find out more about Housing Benefit

Please note: You can no longer make a new claim for Housing Benefit unless you are in one of the groups that can still claim. Check to see if you can still claim Housing Benefit. If you cannot claim Housing Benefit you will need to claim Universal Credit for help with your rent.

More on Universal Credit

Council Tax Reduction Scheme 

You may also be entitled to a Council Tax Reduction if you are on a low income.

Find out more about the Council Tax Reduction Scheme

Contact us

For further advice, you can contact our Welfare Rights and Money Advice team.