The Family Information Service offers free, tailored and impartial advice for families. The service is available to anyone taking care of children or young people aged 0-19 years of age. For children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities it is available up to 25 years of age.
The Family Information Service gives advice and signposts to appropriate services. The core service offered by Southampton Family Information Service is free.
This includes advice on:
- Parenting and family support
- Local activities
- Parent and toddler groups
- Children's health
- Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
- Working in Early Years and Childcare
There is a Brokerage Service for parents needing support in finding childcare or early education.
Support is also available for professionals working with families in Southampton.
Over the next couple of years, the Government will be making significant changes to childcare funding to enable more parents and carers to access free childcare, this will be done in phases:
- From April 2024, working parents of two-year olds will be able to access 15 hours of free childcare per week
- From September 2024, 15 hours of free childcare per week will be extended to all children from the age of nine months
- From September 2025, working parents of children under the age of five will be entitled to 30 hours of free childcare per week
Contact the Family Information Service
The Family Information Service can be contacted using the following channels:
- Online: Our contact form
- Facebook: Southampton Family Information Service
- Face to face: If you would like to speak to someone face to face, please get in touch and we will arrange a mutually convenient time and place
If you would like to see listings of local support services you can also view our directory.