In recognition of the impact of the Early years retention and recruitment challenges, Southampton City Council have created a taskforce to address the concerns and support the sector, whilst promoting early years education as an education profession. We collaborate with neighbouring Local Authorities to address issues raised and have ambition that decrease the longstanding pressures within the sector.
As a result we offer providers:
- A pre-recorded video to promote childcare as a career, particularly to those who are not currently in the sector, hosted on SCC website and sent to schools, colleges, careers services
- Banners for settings to promote their vacancies
- Support in advertising vacancies
- Promotion of Early Years and Childcare in Southampton by attending a wide range of events within the community, working in partnership with other Southampton City Council departments, agencies and organisations as well as other LA’s
- Advertising of voluntary opportunities in collaboration with Southampton Voluntary Services
- A shift in focus on activities on offer across the sector to support services such as Colleges, Careers service, Apprenticeship programmes, volunteer support to progress, student placements.
- Delivery of a unique and separate campaign to recruit childminders within Southampton
- Forging strong links with school careers service
- Connecting with parents and carers that may be interested in working in childcare
We recognise that recruiting the right member of staff can be challenging however you can access useful information on the ACAS website.
How to advertise vacancies
We are currently putting together a page on our website that links prospective applicants to the vacancy pages of early years settings in Southampton. If you haven’t yet shared a link to your vacancies page with us, please email it to FIS@southampton.gov.uk and we’ll be in touch.