What is Council Tax?

Please note

The council have received reports that Council Tax customers are being contacted about getting their council band reduced. Please note these calls are not from the council but will be from another organisation.

If you feel you are in the wrong Council Tax band please go to Council Tax information - wrong band where it fully explains how you can enquire about the Council Tax band set.

Council Tax is a tax on domestic property that is collected by local authorities. It is a yearly charge normally paid in ten or twelve monthly instalments, starting in April.

Your bill shows your payment dates and amounts. Southampton City Council offers payment dates of the 1, 8, 15 and 23 of the month.

The charge is spread over ten months with no payment due in February and March of the given billing year (this does not apply to any arrears payment arrangements you may have made).