Council Tax applies to houses, bungalows, flats, maisonettes, mobile homes, and house boats, both owned and rented. One bill is sent per household.
Some households will not be charged Council Tax and an exemption will be applied to the account.
The following households/properties are exempt from Council Tax
- All occupiers are students
- All occupiers are under 18
- Severely mentally impaired
- Diplomats and certain dependants
- Dependant relatives in self-contained parts of the property, such as a granny annexe
The following empty properties are exempt from Council Tax
- Owned by a charity (exempt for six months)
- Occupation is forbidden by law
- Awaiting occupation by a minister of religion
- Difficult to let separately because it forms a part of another home
- A vacant pitch or mooring
A Council Tax exemption will be applied if the property is empty because
- The resident is in prison (but not for non-payment of fines or Council Tax)
- The resident is receiving care in a hospital, a home or elsewhere
- The resident is a student
- The resident is caring for someone
- The resident has died (exempt for up to six months after the grant of probate or letters of administration)
- The resident is a trustee in bankruptcy
For more information view who is responsible for paying Council Tax on a property.
I am a full time student, do I still need to register for Council Tax? SHOW
If you are 18 years old or over then yes, you still need to register for Council Tax so we know who is living in the property. Once you have registered, you can then apply for student discount or exemption.
However, check your letting arrangement as the landlord may be responsible for the Council Tax bill in some circumstances, such as a multi-let property or House of Multiple Occupation (HMO) and so will be the one notifying us. Find out more about letting arrangements and Council Tax
I am under 18, do I need to pay Council Tax? SHOW
If you are under 18 you will not be charged until you reach 18. You will still need to tell us when you have moved into a property so we can set up an account for you.