You need a licence to run a boarding kennel or cattery. The number of dogs and/or cats that can be accommodated, along with any other conditions, will be specified on the licence.
There is no legal requirement to keep a register. Please contact us if you want to know whether a premises is licensed.
At the time of the application, you must not be disqualified from any of the following:
- Keeping an animal boarding establishment
- Keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951
- Keeping animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
When processing your application, we will consider the following:
- That the animals will be kept in suitable accommodation at all times. Suitable accommodation takes into account the construction and size of the accommodation, the number of animals to be housed in it, facilities for exercising the animals, cleanliness and temperature, lighting and ventilation provisions.
- Suitable food, drink and bedding will be provided and that the animals are exercised and visited regularly
- That steps are taken to prevent and control the spread of disease and that isolation facilities are in place
- That adequate protection is provided in case of fire and other emergencies
- A register is kept containing
- Description of all animals received
- Arrival and departure date
- Name and address of owner
This register should be available to be inspected at any time by a local authority officer or vet.
How to apply
Before you apply you will need to read all the documents to ensure you can comply with the licence conditions.
If you have read the guidance and want to apply for a licence, please complete the application form.
An application fee must be paid when you make your online application.
We will confirm that we have received both your application and fee and arrange to carry out an inspection of your premises (if applicable).
How long will my application take?
We aim to determine applications within 28 days from receipt of a completed application, including payment.
The annual licence fee is £285.00
Note: This fee is non-refundable
Paying the licence fee
You can make a Debit or Credit card payment online via the council's secure online payment service. You are not required to register to use this service. Your card must be registered for 3D Secure for the payment to be successful.
Before you make a payment
You won't be able to save this form to complete later, so please allow yourself a couple of minutes to fill in the form.
You will need:
- Payment card (registered with 3D secure)
Licences expire on December 31 and must be renewed each year before that date.
Will Tacit Consent apply?
No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before we can grant a licence. Please contact us if you have not heard from us within a reasonable period.
Change of circumstances
You must tell us if there any change in circumstances. This includes surrendering a licence or any other changes. There is a fee due in respect of any change that requires a new licence to be issued.
Please read the Guidance notes for the boarding of cats or dogs