Mental health services for adults

In crisis or emergency

If you have urgent concerns about a mental health problem and need immediate help, you can:

  • Call 111 and select the 'mental health' option – this is how to access the NHS urgent mental health triage helpline 24/7 for all ages. You can also go to
  • Call the Samaritans on 116 123 – for 24/7 telephone support
  • Text “HANTS” to 85258 – for 24/7 crisis text support
  • Call on 0800 58 58 58 or use their webchat from 5pm to midnight everyday if you are struggling and need to talk
  • Text “LIGHTHOUSE” and your postcode to 07451276010 between 4:30pm-12am (e.g. LIGHTHOUSE SO14 0YG) for urgent support. The Lighthouse will then contact you by phone or text. Please note this is only open to those over 18 years of age and living in Southampton

In a life-threatening emergency call 999 or visit A&E.

There are lots of services available to help adults (people aged 18+ years old) look after their mental health.

Steps 2 Wellbeing

Steps 2 Wellbeing (or Talking Therapies) provides a range of free treatments for mild to moderate common mental health problems like depression, anxiety, stress, and low mood. For more information and access to online resources, visit Steps 2 Wellbeing. You can refer yourself online or by phone.

Solent Mind

Solent Mind offers a variety of mental health services to provide practical support that empowers you to move forward. Find peer support groups, a telephone support line, webchat and horticultural (gardening) therapy. For guides and toolkits, visit their online resource library.

Solent Mind also offer peer support projects called Side by Side. These provide a range of community-based groups and activities all run by and for people with experience of a mental health issue. From art, craft, walking, photography, gardening, and board games to general social groups.

SO: Linked Community Navigators

Mental Health Community Navigators from Solent Mind can support you with your mental health and connect you with local activities, groups, advice, and support services. To find out more go to SO:Linked. You can refer yourself online or by phone.

If you need further support, you can always contact your GP for an appointment to discuss how you’re feeling. If you need support more urgently you can also request an emergency appointment.