Jury service

Procedure to be followed when school employees are called to jury service

  • The individual will be given a document by the court called a “certificate of loss of earnings” to be completed by the employer
  • The school will need to complete the portion that refers to whether the employee may return to work for part or whole days when not required by the court. The form should then be forwarded to HR/Pay or your payroll provider if this is different, who will complete the section related to “loss of earnings” and return the form to the individual
  • The individual should take the completed form to the court on the first day of attendance, and must claim any allowances due for attendance
  • At the end of the period of jury service, the individual should repay to the Authority an amount equivalent to the allowances claimed from the court