Dropped kerbs

You can apply to the council for permission to have a dropped kerb (vehicle crossover) installed to provide vehicle access to your property.

It is illegal to drive over the pavement unless there is a vehicle crossover. You must read the policy, terms and conditions before you apply.

We will not arrange the construction of the dropped kerb

You will need to commission your own New Roads and Street Works Act (NRSWA) accredited contractor. Please note, only contractors who are accredited under the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991, and who hold £10 million public liability insurance, may apply for a licence.

We do not hold a list of approved contractors, and we are unable to recommend any specific private companies to carry out the works. You may wish to use the Government’s Buy With Confidence website to find a suitable contractor.

Contractors must seek permission to excavate in the public highway by completing a Road Opening Licence. For an application form:

Call: 023 8079 8077
Email: Southamptontma@balfourbeatty.com

Do I need planning permission?

Planning permission is only required if the dropped kerb, or extension to an existing dropped kerb, is to be installed in a road on the classified road list.

Planning permission on classified roads must be sought prior to applying for the dropped kerb. You can apply for planning permission online.


A non-refundable charge of £140 will need to be paid at the time of application. Once you have submitted your application, please make payment either by:

  • BACS:
    • Bank name: RBS
    • Account Number: 31336726
    • Sort Code: 16-04-00
  • Cheque: Payable to 'Balfour Beatty Living Places' and sent to Highway Services Partnership, City Depot and Recycling Park, First Avenue, Millbrook, Southampton, SO15 0LJ

Remember: Please make sure you include the form reference number with your BAC payment or on the back of the cheque. This will be provided when you submit your online application and in your email confirmation.

Apply for a dropped kerb

You can use the online form to apply for a new dropped kerb or to request to extend an existing dropped kerb.

You will also need to provide the following information with your application:

  • Name of the road the dropped kerb will open on to
  • Your property type
  • Do you own the property?
  • Types of vehicles using this crossing
  • Is the crossing required as part of other building works?
  • Diagram of the dropped kerb plan should be added to this application

Before you fill in this form

You won't be able to save this form to complete later, so please allow yourself up to five minutes to fill in the form.

Once you have submitted your dropped crossing application and paid the charge, an officer will carry out an assessment and a decision will be made to approve or decline the dropped crossing within approximately four weeks.

Remember: We have a duty to maintain our highways and protect it from damage. It is an offence to do any works on the highway without our permission.

Apply for a dropped kerb

The Council will need to consider environmental and other factors when determining approval for a dropped kerb. Such as the presence of trees, removal of any green spaces / highway verge, and the impact the application will have on the requirements for on-street parking in the vicinity.

Each case will always be considered on its own merits and the Council may approve the request with or without modifications, may propose alternative works, may add conditions, or may reject the request.