Access protection markings are white 'H' shaped lines, sometimes called H bars, marking a dropped kerb. It helps make drivers aware of an access point which must not be obstructed.
Bar markings on a clearly defined dropped crossing access should not normally be necessary. Rule 243 of the Highway Code instructs vehicle drivers not to park in front of an entrance.
The Highway Code Rule 243 instructs drivers not to park their vehicle or trailer on the road where it would endanger, inconvenience or obstruct pedestrians or road users. For example, "In front of an entrance to a property".
A non-refundable application charge of £55.00 (inc. VAT) will need to be paid when you have submitted your application.
If an H-bar application is subsequently approved and you wish to proceed, an installation fee of £65.00 (inc. VAT) will be charged for all markings up to five metres in length.
If the required marking is longer than five metres, a further £10.00 (inc. VAT) per metre is payable. The marking must span the extent of the dropped kerb. The total cost will be provided, if the application is approved, prior to installation.
Apply for access protection markings
You can use the online form to apply for new markings or request to extend an existing access protection line.
You will also need to provide the following information with your application:
- Please us know if you have an approved dropped kerb and access to a parking area
- The location where H-Bar marking is required
- Reasons for needing the H-Bar markings
- Number of vehicles kept at your property
- Existing road markings across this dropped kerb
- Details of any cases reported to the Police or our Parking Services where vehicles have blocked your access
- Does your dropped kerb extend across your neighbour's access?
Before you fill in this form
You won't be able to save this form to complete later, so please allow yourself up to five minutes to fill in the form.
Once you have submitted the application, please make payment either:
- By BACS:
- Bank name: RBS
- Account Number: 31336726
- Sort Code: 16-04-00
- By cheque: Payable to 'Balfour Beatty Living Places' and sent to Highway Services Partnership, City Depot and Recycling Park, First Avenue, Millbrook, Southampton, SO15 0LJ
Remember: Please make sure you include the form reference number with your BAC payment or on the back of the cheque. This will be provided when you submit your online application and in your email confirmation.