Appeal an MOT failure

An MOT refusal certificate will be issued to vehicle owners after a vehicle fails an MOT test. To appeal against the refusal to issue an MOT test certificate for your vehicle you will need to:

  • Ask for form VT17 - obtainable from the testing station or GOV.UK - Appeal an MOT test result
  • Send the form, with a further full test fee, to reach the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) office within fourteen working days of the refusal notice issue date
  • If your appeal is successful the fee or if appropriate part of it will be returned to you
  • Do not have your vehicle repaired before your appeal is considered. This is because any change to your vehicle may affect the outcome of the appeal.

The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) was formerly known as the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA).