Foreign registered vehicles

A foreign registered vehicle can be used in the UK for six months if it is fully taxed in the home country. After this, the vehicle must be registered with the DVLA and will no longer have a foreign registration plate.

Foreign registered vehicles may only be removed if they are damaged or hazardous to the public.

Hazardous vehicles may have the following characteristics:

  • Broken windows
  • Be insecure
  • Be full of rubbish or flammable materials
  • Have damaged bodywork with sharp edges
  • Be burnt out

How to report a hazardous vehicle

You can report an abandoned vehicle that you consider to be dangerous by completing the online form.


Before you fill in this form

You won't be able to save this form to complete later, so please allow yourself five minutes to fill in the form.

We will need your contact details as the DVLA require us to be able to identify the person making a report of an abandoned vehicle as a condition of making enquiries on their database.

You will need to provide the following information:

  • Registration number of the vehicle
  • Any photos of the vehicle

Report an abandoned vehicle

What happens next

We will inspect the vehicle and assess the risk. This is usually within a week but for burnout vehicles, we aim to inspect within 24 hours.

Once our officers inspect the vehicle and photographs are taken, we will then do a DVLA check to attempt to contact the registered keeper and monitor the vehicle.

If the vehicle has no registered keeper, we place a seven-day destruction notice on the vehicle.

Please be aware that we cannot tell you the outcome of our investigations or who owns the vehicle.