Document Print/Save as PDF
Last updated: 05-06-2023. From web page: Senior Bus Pass.
Qualification for an English National Concessionary Bus Pass for person’s under pensionable age
Criteria and documents
You will need to be over 5 years of age and meet one of the following eligibility criteria**
- be severely sight impaired (blind) or sight impaired (partially sighted)
- be profoundly or severely deaf
- be without speech
- have a disability, or injury, which has a substantial and long-term effect on your ability to walk
- have no arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms
- have a learning disability, that is, a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind
- which started before adulthood and includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning
- would be refused a licence to drive a motor vehicle, should an application be made under Part III of the Road Transport Act 1988, under section 92 of the Act (physical fitness)
otherwise than on the grounds of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol.
Your condition will need to be permanent, or last at least 12 months.
Documents which can be provided as evidence of the above:
- a registration card confirming being severely sight impaired (blind), sight impaired (partially sighted) or deaf
- a Certificate of Vision Impairment
- a letter from a Medical Practitioner or Social Services confirming that you are without speech
- a recent letter from the Department for Work and Pensions confirming that you are currently in receipt of the Higher rate of the Mobility component of Disability Living Allowance
- a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions showing you have sufficient Personal Independence Payment activity points to confirm your eligibility.** Automatic qualification is
8 points or above against either the PIP “moving around” and/or “communicating verbally” activities.
- evidence from Southampton City Council's Day Services or Learning Disabilities Team
confirming that you have a Learning Disability