Local Housing Allowance

From 22 February 2017 you cannot make a new claim for Housing Benefit in this area unless you are in one of the groups that is still eligible to claim Housing Benefit. Instead you will need to make a claim for Universal Credit

Check if you can still claim Housing Benefit

If you pay Council Tax you will still need to make a claim for Council Tax Reduction with us.

Claim Council Tax Reduction

What is Local Housing Allowance?

If you are renting your property from a private landlord, the Local Housing Allowance is used to work out how much Housing Benefit can be paid. Local Housing Allowance does not apply to:

  • People who claimed Housing Benefit before 7 April 2008 without a break or address change
  • People who rent their home from the council
  • People who rent their home from a Registered Social Landlord or Housing Association
  • People whose tenancy started before 1989 or who have a registered fair rent
  • People who live in supported accommodation
  • People who live in hostels, caravans and houseboats
  • It may not apply if your rent includes an amount for meals

The Local Housing Allowance rates are based on the number of bedrooms you need

There are different rules for under 35 year olds and people in shared accommodation

Weekly Local Housing Allowance rates for 2024-2025

Size criteria Weekly rate
Shared accommodation £97.81
One bedroom property £161.10
Two bedroom property £201.37
Three bedroom property £247.40
Four bedroom property £333.70