What you need to tell us

You need to tell us straight away about any change that could affect your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction. Here are some of the most common changes.

Changes in address

  • Tell us if you move

Changes in income

  • Wages
  • Maintenance
  • Works pension
  • Tax credits
  • Any income starts, stops, increases or decreases
  • If you start or stop work

Childcare costs

(You need to tell us about changes to your childcare even if you have told Tax Credits)

  • If you start paying for childcare
  • If the amount you pay goes up or down
  • If you stop paying for childcare

Changes in benefit

  • Start or stop getting Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance
  • If any other benefit starts or stops or the amount changes
  • If a tax credit like Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit starts or stops, or if the amount changes

People who live with you

  • If anyone comes to stay with you or moves out
  • If you become a couple (we count your partners income with yours when we work out your benefit)
  • If anyone who lives with you starts or stops work
  • If there is any change in the income of someone who lives with you
  • If you have a new baby
  • If a child leaves school or changes school

Changes in bank accounts, savings, investments

(This does not include minor day-to-day increases or decreases of a current account or changes in the value on the stock market of stocks and shares):

  • Bank accounts
  • Savings
  • Stocks
  • Shares

Changes in private rents and housing association rents

  • Rent goes up or down
  • Charges included in the rent go up or down

Other changes

This is not a full list. If you are unsure please tell us about a change anyway and we will let you know if it will affect your benefit.

Report a change of circumstances or address