Self service and forms

From 22 February 2017 you cannot make a new claim for Housing Benefit (HB) in this area unless you are in one of the groups that can still make a claim. If you cannot claim Housing Benefit you will need to claim Universal Credit (UC).

Check if you can still claim Housing Benefit

If you claim UC your rent will be paid by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) but you will need to make a claim for Council Tax Reduction (CTR) with us.

If you have provided an email address and we need further information from you, we will email the letter rather than posting it. You can provide an up to date email address to Benefit Services, please include your claim number or name, address and national insurance number.

Please check your inbox regularly, failure to respond to us within one month for Housing Benefit or 28 days for Council Tax Reduction may result in your claim being suspended or cancelled.

Log in or register for a benefits account

The benefits account allows you to find out what information we are using to work out your benefit; when payments are due and sign up to receive benefits letters electronically.

Log in / register for a benefits account

Authority to discuss form

Authority to Discuss (ATD) is where you can give a third party permission to discuss your claim with us. You can use the following form to give ATD to a third party. The document will need to be printed, completed and returned using the address at the top of it.

Authority to discuss form

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction scheme

Council Tax Reduction is applied to your Council Tax account and will reduce your Council Tax bill by the amount we calculate you can receive (this will depend on your income and circumstances). You are able to upload documents when you use the online application form.

Apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction

Changes in your circumstances

The law states you need to tell us about any change to the information we have used to calculate your entitlement to Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction. This includes a change of address.

You are able to upload documents when you use the online change in circumstances form.

Report a change in your circumstances

Direct payment to landlord form

If you would like payment of Housing Benefit to be made directly to your landlord you will need to print, complete and return the form below. You only need to complete this form if you are a tenant of a private landlord (you will need a printer).

Direct payment to landlord form

Discretionary Housing Payments, discretionary Council Tax Reduction or Universal Credit Housing Support

If the amount of Housing Benefit, Universal Credit Housing Element or Council Tax Reduction is not enough, and you have special circumstances, you can ask for help.

Apply for a discretionary payment

Employers certificate of earnings

If you need to provide proof of your earnings but you do not have wage slips you can print, complete and return the following form (you will need a printer).

Employers certificate of earnings

Income and expenses form

If you would like us to reduce the amount of money we are deducting from your benefit to recover an overpayment you will need to complete this form.


Before you fill in this form

You won't be able to save this form to complete later, so please allow yourself five minutes to fill it in.

Income and expenses form

Nil income statement

If you are not receiving benefits, have little or no income, or if you're getting payments (loans, contributions) from friends and family to help you get by, you can complete a Nil income statement.

Submit a nil income statement

Occupation confirmation form

If you have made a claim for benefit prior to your moving in date, you may need to complete this form to confirm when you moved in.

Submit an occupation confirmation form

Self employed questionnaire

If you run your own business or work for yourself, you will need to complete this form to tell us about your income and expenses.

Complete the self employed questionnaire

Temporary absence statement

Housing benefit can be paid if you are away from home for 4, 13 or 52 weeks, depending on your circumstances. If you are going to be away from your home, please let us know.

Submit a temporary absence statement