What do I do if my bin has been lost or stolen?

Lost or stolen bins

Please note Southampton City Council charge for the replacement of lost or stolen general waste (green lidded) bins

If you believe your bin to be missing there are some things you need to do before reporting it to us.

  • Make sure that you have checked to see whether your bin has been moved away from your normal collection point

  • Check to see if your bin has been accidentally claimed by one of your neighbours

  • Check the surrounding areas carefully in case your bin has been returned to the wrong property.

If your bin cannot be found please complete the online form, providing your details and the type of bin that is missing.

Southampton City Council is now charging for lost or stolen general waste (green lidded) bins.

Type Cost
140 litre general waste bin £30.00
240 litre general waste bin £40.00
360 litre general waste bin £50.00

The charge is to cover the administration and delivery of replacement general waste (green lidded) bins and more information can be found in our frequently asked questions

If, after submitting the online form, your container is found please let us know so that the delivery can be cancelled. Please note this is a non-refundable charge.

Report a lost or stolen general waste (green-lidded) bin

Report any other type of lost or stolen bin

If you are a new resident and the property has no storage for bins you will be given rolls of sacks instead (these are delivered twice a year).

Replacement bins can take up to eight weeks to be delivered.

Damaged bins

If your bin has become damaged and you need a replacement, please let us know using our online form.

You will be asked to state where the damage to the bin is, and what type of bin it is.

Replacement bins can take up to eight weeks to be delivered.

Report a damaged bin

Stray bins

If you have found someone else’s bin you need to let us know so that we can organise to return their bin to them.

You will be asked to describe the bin that you have found and, if possible, pinpoint the location where you found the bin on a map.

Pinpointing the exact location on the map will be very helpful in the resolution of any reported issue.

If you need to return a bin to us as you no longer need it, or if you move into a property with too many bins, then please use this form to let us know so we can arrange collection.

Please do not use this form to report a missing or lost bin, please use the lost bin form instead.

Report a stray bin

Ordering new waste sacks

Some properties in the city use plastic sacks for waste and recycling instead of the standard issue bins. Typically, these are areas of the city with no frontage to store bins or blocks that have a small bin cupboard by their front doors.

Twice a year, in April and October, we deliver new black rubbish sacks and clear recycling sacks to each of these properties. If you are an existing customer and need more plastic sacks or would like to ask if you are eligible for these, please complete our online form.

Please note: The majority of Council sheltered housing blocks have now switched to shared communal wheeled bins. If you have these for your block, plastic sacks will no longer be provided.

Enquire about waste sacks