Other ways to dispose of bulky waste
Large bulky items in good condition can sometimes be passed on for reuse or recycling. This includes:
- Electrical appliances, for example fridges
Should this item be donated?
Before passing on an item consider:
- If the item has been stored indoors or undercover
- If it's an electrical appliance, is it fully working
- If it's an upholstered item, does it have a red or blue fire label attached
- Would you buy or take this item?
Who can I donate to?
Some charities may accept items meeting these points. A small charge may be made for collection, but some are free:
- SCRATCH helps families in need. They are based on Mount Pleasant Industrial Estate and always require good quality furniture and electrical appliances. Visit SCRATCH.
- British Heart Foundation furniture and electrical store
- DEBRA furniture collection
- Naomi House have a number of shops and facilities you can donate to
- Oxfam shops in Southampton
- Sue Ryder shops
Another option is to offer your items online for free via Gumtree, Freecycle, Freegle or Preloved.
Supermarket notice boards or newspapers are other options.
If none of these ideas are practical or appropriate please use our paid-for bulky waste collection service or you can dispose of bulky items for free at the Southampton tip/dump.