The Language Intervention Team consists of experienced and specially trained Speech &
Language Schools Assistants (SALSAs) receiving clinical supervision from a Specialist NHS Speech and Language Therapist.
We recognise the growing need for support for core educational skills including literacy,
numeracy and behaviour. We recognise that language and communication skills underpin all that is needed for learning in school and can work with school staff to embed these skills within the learning environment.
The impact of Speech, language and communication needs (SLCN)
|Pupils with SLCN
|Good level of development at the end of EYFS
|Expected level in Phonics (KS1)
|Expected level for reading, writing and maths (KS2 SATSA)
|Achieve a 9-5 pass at GCSE in English and Maths
How we can help
The Language Intervention Team can work with your school to compliment the hard work already taking place to identify and support pupils with SLCN and improve outcomes for all.
We can provide:
- Training and resources for teachers and teaching assistants
- Bespoke packages of support including 1:1 assessments and target setting, small group interventions and whole class strategies
- Group interventions including: Attention and Listening, Phonological Awareness, Narrative and Vocabulary Development
What can we offer?
Starting from just £250, we have a package to suit your school, including:
- Weekly whole or half day visits from one of our SALSA team
- Fortnightly half day visits from one of our SALSA team
- Ad-Hoc visits for a half or whole day
- Tailored staff training sessions
Resource Base subscription
- 6 x 2 hour workshops (one each half term)
- Two members of staff can attend from your school
- SALSA led sessions covering topics to support your school work with pupils with SLCN
- Sessions include presentations, discussions, demonstrations of strategies and resources
Our bespoke programmes and interventions will help your school meet the requirements of the latest Government White Paper (March 2022) which references the Education Endowment Foundation (EEF) targets for literacy in KS1 and KS2.
What do our schools say?
"Our SALSA is both professional and friendly with all of our pupils and really takes the time to get to know the pupils so that she can best support them. She has provided us with concise and informative feedback on the pupils she is working with enabling us to put actions plans into place to support our pupils further. She works collaboratively with the school and has shown great patience and understanding with the pupils she has supported."
Higher level teaching assistant
Bitterne Park Secondary School
"Having our SALSA come into school is such a help to me. The programmes she sets for the individual children have a strong outcome. I particularly enjoy the resource afternoons and being able to learn from others in the same role."
Speech and Language TA,
Bitterne Park Primary
"Our SALSA is always professional with clear, well resourced targets (delivered promptly) to support our children, and is happy to share her knowledge with me. I genuinely thank her for her time, patience and feel that I have learned a lot from her."
Speech and Language TA
Mason Moor Primary
View the SALSA flyer.