Working as a childminder

Childminding can be a very rewarding and satisfying career. Childminders are professional child carers who work in their own home, set their own work times and days, and work across a wide range of ages. Childminders who work with under 8s are required to register with Ofsted. Registered childminders are inspected by Ofsted on a regular basis to ensure they are meeting regulatory requirements.

Childminders in Southampton are offered support and information from the Early Years and Childcare Development Team to help them meet regulatory requirements. They can also help childminders to raise the level of their provision to Good or Outstanding practice.

As with all childcare providers, safeguarding is paramount so childminders are subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. Anyone aged 16 or over living in the household with you will also be subject to a DBS check. Ofsted has issued guidance on how to apply for a DBS check and how to get a DBS check if you want to look after children for a living.

As your childminding registration with Ofsted will be based on where you will be working (normally your own home) it is important to check which local authority area the property is located in.

First check the postcode on GOV.UK to ensure the property is within the Southampton City Council local authority area.

If you live in the surrounding areas of the city such as West End / Hedge End / Netley / Hamble / Bursledon / Rownhams / Chilworth / Nursling / Totton, etc. it is likely you will need to contact Hampshire County Council for the relevant information for your area.

GOV.UK provide guidance on 'How to register as a childminder or nanny'. Southampton City Council can offer advice and support to help you through this process so please follow the information provided in the sections below.

Learn more about the Childminder grants scheme. These grants will be available from Autumn 2023 for childminders registered from 15 March 2023 onwards. 

Self employed people working in early years and childcare may wish to refer to HMRC for emails updates, videos and webinars for Self Assessment tax resources.

What would I be doing? SHOW

What qualifications do I need? SHOW

What fees do I charge parents? SHOW

First steps to becoming a childminder SHOW

Other training providers SHOW

I want to find out more SHOW

Early Years and Childcare Development Team - Permission to Contact Form

If you don't accept the conditions on this form we will be unable to contact you with the relevant information and support you will need to become a childminder in Southampton.


Before you fill in this form

You won't be able to save this form to complete later, so please allow yourself a couple of minutes to fill in the form.

Permission to Contact