Data Protection - subject access requests

The Data Protection Act 2018 (the DPA) gives you a right to access the information Southampton City Council holds about you. These requests are known as Subject Access Requests or SARs. If you require access to adoption records, this is a separate process. Please view our adoption pages for further information.

To make an SAR you will need to:

1. Put the request in writing.

This can be done by completing our Subject Access Request form and returning it to us using your preferred method of communication:

Subject Access Request form


Email or write to:

Information Lawyer (Data Protection Officer)
Southampton City Council
Corporate Legal Team
Civic Centre
SO14 7LT

2. Provide us with proof of identification.

We have a responsibility to ensure that we keep your information safe. For that reason we ask you to provide us with some proof of identity. Please let us have a copy of your passport, driving licence, or other document showing your name and signature. Please also provide us with a recent bill (eg a utility bill) showing your name and address. This will help us to verify your identity.

Once these steps have been completed, we will aim to provide you with a response within one calendar month.

For more information about accessing your own information, please visit the Information Commissioner’s website.