Data Protection - subject access requests

COVID-19 Service Update

Important updates due to coronavirus

Due to unprecedented challenges facing the council during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, resources are being diverted from service areas so that key services can be provided. As such, there will likely be delays in the following areas:

  • Providing information requested via the Freedom of Information Act 2000
  • Processing data rights requests, subject access requests and third party information requests under GDPR and Data Protection Act 2018

The council will continue to process all requests, and responses will be sent as soon as possible.

Last updated: 26 August 2021

The Data Protection Act 2018 (the DPA) gives you a right to access the information Southampton City Council holds about you. These requests are known as Subject Access Requests or SARs. If you require access to adoption records, this is a separate process. Please view our adoption pages for further information.

Subject Access Requests can be made verbally, however we would ask you to put the request in writing as this will assist the Council in accurately and efficiently dealing with your request. We would also ask that you provide us with proof of your identity as this will help the Council ensure that your information is only disclosed to you.

This can be done by completing our online Subject Access Request form.

Make a Subject Access Request

We have a responsibility to ensure that we keep your information safe. For that reason we'll ask you to provide us with some proof of identity. You will be required to upload a copy of your passport, driving licence, or other document showing your name and signature. Please also provide us with a recent bill (eg a utility bill) showing your name and address. This will help us to verify your identity.

If you are making a request on behalf of someone else, we will ask for evidence showing your entitlement or authority to do so.

We will aim to provide you with a response to your request within one calendar month.

For more information about accessing your own information, please visit the Information Commissioner’s website.