Housing complaints

We want our residents to be satisfied with our services. We welcome hearing our residents’ comments, compliments, and complaints to better understand how they view our services and to use these valuable opportunities to learn and improve for the future.

What is a service request?

A service request is a way for you to ask us to put something right. If you have an issue in your home, you should let your landlord know. We should tell you how we will respond to your report you have made and set out what action we will take.

No need to worry about emailing or calling different teams or searching for the correct contact details. Simply call 023 8083 3006 and select Option Seven or email mytenancy@southampton.gov.uk, and we will be happy to help – whatever your housing query.

A service request is not a complaint.

What is a complaint?

A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction about the standard of service, actions, or lack of action.

If you have reported an issue to us and you do not think we have taken appropriate action or responded in a suitable way, you can make a complaint to let us know what you think has gone wrong. You do not need to use the word 'complaint' for it to be treated as such.

Make a complaint

If you wish to make a complaint, please visit complaints.

The Ombudsman provides some useful information on how to make a complaint.

What can I do if I am dissatisfied with the outcome of my complaint?

As a council tenant, if you submit a stage one complaint and are dissatisfied with the outcome there are two options available:

Informal review by the Tenants’ Panel

The Panel is an advisory group comprising of tenants of Southampton City Council. Its purpose is to ensure that the interests of tenants are reflected in the design and delivery of services.

In the case of complaints, Panel members can give a view to the Housing service on whether its reply is fair and balanced. This may in some circumstances lead to an amended reply by the service. 

Formal review by the Complaints Resolution Team

The council’s Complaints Resolution Team is independent of the service area complained about. The team includes trained and experienced complaints investigators who can review a complaint on behalf of the council.

Complaint reports

Housing Ombudsman Complaint Handling Code self-assessment

Social Housing landlords must carry out and publish an annual assessment against the Code to ensure their complaint handling remains in line with its requirements. This will be submitted to the Ombudsman at the same time as the Tenant Satisfaction Measures (TSMs), at the end of June 2024 and made available here.

View the current complaint handling code self-assessment.