CIL and Permitted Development/Prior Approval

Is permitted development/prior approval CIL liable?  

Development permitted under a ‘general consent’ such as permitted development or prior approval is CIL liable if a new dwelling in being created (even if this is through a change of use) or if more than 100 square metres of new Class A1 – A5 use floor space is being created.

If you intend to commence development under a general consent and it is CIL liable you will need to submit a Form 5: Notice of Chargeable Development to the council before you commence development. This Notice should be submitted before any work commences on the site.

The notice must be accompanied by a plan which identifies the following: 

  • The land to which the notice relates 
  • Any buildings in use on that land which are to be demolished before the completion of the chargeable development; 
  • Any buildings in use on that land which will be part of the chargeable development on completion, and 
  • The development which is the subject of the notice

Further information may be required if we are unable to determine the CIL liability from the information submitted.

This form must be submitted for all applications with the suffix PA56 and PAC3.

Is permitted development/prior approval CIL liable?

If you are unsure if your development is CIL liable please contact the CIL Officer who will be able to advise further.

Southampton City Council will use the information provided on these forms to administer the Community Infrastructure Levy. If further information is needed in order to do so, you may be contacted using the details provided.

In performing this service, the Council may be required to share your information with other organisations or departments, but it will only do so when it is necessary in order for the service to be provided.

The Council may also share your personal information for the purposes of the prevention, investigation, detection, or prosecution of criminal offences, but will not share your personal information, or use it for this, or any other purpose, unless provided for by law.

Please note that, in order for the Council to fulfil its statutory obligations, the information provided on these forms and in supporting documents may be published on its website. If you require any further clarification, please contact the CIL Officer.

More detailed information about the Council’s handling of your personal data can be found in its privacy policy.