You can comment on any planning application during the consultation period. This is normally three weeks from the date that the consultation letters are sent out.
If you already have a Public Access account you can log in to comment on an application.
If you do not already have an account you can register to comment on an application.
Before you fill in this form
You won't be able to save this form to complete later, so please allow yourself at least five minutes to fill in the form.
You can support or object to a proposal, but you should remember that planning applications can only be decided on the basis of planning issues related to that application. We cannot accept comments after the end of the consultation period for an application. All comments submitted will automatically be available for public viewing - please refrain from using bad language, personal details about yourself or defamatory comments about others. Only comments received from a valid address will be considered, although your name and address will be withheld from Public Access, providing you do not include your name and/or address within the Comment box.
Further details of when an application will be determined by the Planning & Rights of Panel can be found in the officer's current scheme of delegation.
We will consider all comments we receive, but when making our formal decision we can only take account of matters known as 'material planning considerations'. A few examples of what can be considered:
- Overshadowing - the effect on neighbours' daylight, sunlight or privacy
- Road safety - the impact of traffic, road access, parking and servicing
- Overbearing - the appearance, bulk or height of the scheme
- Design – the density, layout, appearance and materials proposed to be used
- Out-of-character - the impact on the character of the area
- Loss of trees or other important landscape features
- Disturbance - the impact on amenities such as noise or smells generated by the proposal
- Principle - the potential loss of a valued local service or use such as a shop or a residential flat
- Conservation - the effect on a listed building or the character of a conservation area
We will not consider comments which are:
- Offensive statements that lower a person's reputation personally or within their trade, profession or business
- Racist statements are those that discriminate against individuals on racial grounds including their race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins. Gypsies and other minorities are considered racial groups
- Comments that discriminate on grounds of religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability will also not be published or considered
Should you experience any problems submitting your comments, you can also submit them via email or in writing. When writing or emailing please include the application number (eg 14/0001/FUL) and the site address, you must also include your name and full postal address.
Any written comments that you submit (including by post) will be made available online, via public access, for inspection and copying by the public. Only comments received from a valid address will be considered, although your name and address will be withheld from Public Access, providing you do not include your name and/or address within the Comment box.
Planning and Sustainability
Southampton City Council
Civic Centre Road