Duty Planning Officer

Southampton City Council is unable to provide a Duty Planning Officer service until further notice.

We have reviewed the most frequently asked questions raised with Duty Planning Officers and provided links below to assist with your enquiry.

Planning at Southampton City Council

The Planning Portal

The Planning Portal: The Government's planning advice and applications portal.

Pre-application advice service

Pre-application advice service: Pre- application advice from Southampton City Council (fees applicable).

Permitted development

The Planning Portal: Guidance on Permitted Development for extensions and other common projects

Permitted development - Technical Guidance:The Government have also produced the booklet “Permitted Development for Householders - Technical Guidance” which includes diagrams to help understand the allowances under PD (see Class A, pages 10-34, for extensions). 

Neighbour Consultation Scheme: If you are looking to build a rear home extension of between 3m and 6m in depth from the original rear wall of your house (or between 4m and 8m in depth for a detached dwelling), then it would be larger than allowed under PD, but you may be able to apply for it under the larger home extensions.

Certificate of lawful development: If you believe your development / change of use does not require planning permission, you can also apply for a Certificate of Lawful Development that would be a legal document to prove this. This process requires a higher fee, as it is checked and issued by our legal department. Application fees vary depending on your proposal. A decision would normally be issued within 8 weeks. You can apply online or download an application form from the planning portal.

Check fees required
Planning Portal - applications

Buy a planning map/ site location plan

For most applications, and pre-application advice, you will need to provide a Site Location Plan.

Apply for planning permission

Planning History

Search for your planning history: If you wish to know the planning history of your property.

Houses in multiple occupation (HMO)

Please see the links to further information below. You can also use our Public Access system, mentioned above, to search for other HMO planning application records in your area.
HMO supplementary planning document: Explains the application process.

Building Control

Your proposal may also need approval under the Building Regulations. The Building Control Service is available weekdays by calling 023 8083 3006 (Option 4). A duty Building Control Officer is normally available each weekday afternoon 3pm-5pm, (4:30pm on Fridays). 

The Party Wall Act

You may also have some responsibilities under the Party Wall Act, if your extension / development includes any works that may affect a party wall / boundary between yours and your neighbour’s property.