EHCP – mediation and disagreement resolution

Mediation aims to help resolve disagreements for children and young people that are being assessed for or have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).

Disagreement resolution is available for all children and young people with Special Educational Needs (SEN). It's not just for those who are being assessed for or have an EHCP. This is available if it's not been possible to resolve those issues though the normal routes such as a school or college complaints process.

Mediation and disagreement resolution meetings aim to resolve your disagreements in a quick, informal way. They use a neutral third party to help you reach a resolution that everyone is happy with.

Contact Global Mediation’s SEN Case Manager on 0800 064 4488. This service is free of charge and your conversation is confidential.

For more information visit the global mediation website.

Mediation information and advice

You have a right to appeal to SEND if you can't reach an agreement with the local authority over:

  • The assessment process
  • The provision of an EHCP
  • The content of an EHCP

SEND is an independent first-tier tribunal. They will hear and decide parents or young peoples’ appeals against the decisions of the Local Authority in relation to special educational needs.

To register an appeal, you must first contact an independent Mediation Adviser. You'll need a certificate to prove that you have done so. The Mediation Adviser will provide you with factual information about mediation. You don't have to have mediation advice if your appeal is only about Placement, the health and social care elements of an EHCP or if it is a disability discrimination claim.

You can contact the Global Mediation’s Mediation Adviser on 0800 064 4488. This service is free of charge and your conversation is confidential.

Once you have received mediation advice it is up to you to decide whether you want to go to mediation before any appeal you might make to the tribunal.

If you do not want to try mediation, the Mediation Adviser will issue you with a certificate so that you can register your Appeal.

If you do want to try mediation, our SEN Case Manager will make all the arrangements for you.

Your right to appeal is not affected if you do not have mediation first. No inference will be drawn by the tribunal if you have not used the mediation services.