SEN school travel support

This applies to children attending the school that can meet their needs, who are unable to walk their (accompanied or unaccompanied) because of their Special Educational Needs (SEN).

When offering a school place, our Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) Team will also confirm a child’s eligibility for transport assistance. They will assess eligibility for children with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) based on the following criteria:

1. Attend the agreed school

Your child must be attending the school nearest to their home which is able to meet their SEN, as agreed by the Children’s Services SEN Team.

2. Live an appropriate distance from the school

The distance between their home and the school must be more than:

  • Two miles if they are in reception, or between five and eight years old
  • Three miles if they are between eight and 16 years old

Assistance may be offered within these distance limits where a child’s needs make this essential.

Children in early years who have an EHC plan

Children attending specialist early years provision with an EHCP, or through agreement for an Education Health and Care Assessment, will be considered for travel assistance on a case-by-case basis.

How do I apply?

To discuss your child's eligibility further you can contact the Children’s Services SEND team by:

You can also read our frequently asked questions.

Document Type Size
Home to School Transport Policy 2023-2024pdf910.9 KB