Adult care eligibility - who can get care and support?

What is the assessment process?

An assessment is how a local authority decides whether you need care and support to help you live your day-to-day life.

The assessment must be carried out by an appropriately trained assessor, for instance a social worker or occupational therapist, who will consider a number of factors, such as:

  • Your needs and how they impact on your wellbeing – for instance, a need for help with getting dressed or support to get to work
  • The outcomes that matter to you – for example, whether you are lonely and want to make new friends
  • Your other circumstances – for example, whether you live alone or whether someone supports you

The aim is to get a full picture you and what needs and goals you may have.

To start the assessment process, use our self-assessment tool. This will indicate whether you are likely to need a full assessment, and can be referred to us to follow up with one.

After carrying out the assessment, we will consider whether any of the needs identified are eligible for support. Because not all care needs are met by the State, we use an eligibility framework to decide which needs are eligible to be met by public care and support.

How does the authority determine who has eligible needs? SHOW

What is assessed? SHOW

What doesn’t require social care? SHOW

Support during your assessment SHOW

What to do if you disagree with a decision about the level or type of care you receive SHOW

Apply for an assessment

If you think you or someone you know may benefit from having a care assessment, why not try our online care self-assessment tool?

Start a care self-assessment.