When will my claim start?

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction will usually start from the Monday following the date you make your application. In some cases, it may be earlier depending on your income and when you moved in. If you apply for Housing Benefit before moving in you may need to complete an Occupation Confirmation Form after moving in.


Before you fill in this form

You won't be able to save this form to complete later, so please allow yourself up to five minutes to fill in the form.

Complete an Occupation Confirmation form

If you or your partner are pensionable age or over

Your claim can be paid from up to three months before the date that you made your application. This is referred to as the 'take on' period and is not classed as a backdate.

To qualify for the take on period

  • You and your partner must have been of pensionable age for the three months
  • You must have been liable for rent or Council Tax for the three months