You cannot make a new claim for Housing Benefit (HB) in this area unless you are in one of the groups that can still make a claim. If you cannot claim HB you will need to claim Universal Credit (UC) for help with your rent. 

Check if you can still claim Housing Benefit

Claiming Council Tax Reduction (CTR) if you have claimed or get UC

CTR can help towards the cost of your Council Tax.

If you have recently claimed UC you will not need to make a claim for CTR. The DWP will tell us you have claimed UC and we can use this as your claim for CTR.

If we contact you for more details you must reply as soon as possible or you may lose out on help.

If you are already on UC and you are not getting CTR you will need to make a claim as soon as possible.

Apply for Council Tax Reduction

 If you have to pay rent or Council Tax and you meet one of the following criteria you can apply for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction (you cannot claim HB if you are entitled to UC):

  • You have reached state pension credit age
  • You live in supported accommodation
  • You have savings below £16,000 (unless you are on Guaranteed Credit)

If you are a student or a person that has come from abroad you may need to meet further criteria.

If you can claim, please apply as soon as possible; if you don't, you may lose out on benefit. Please supply any supporting proof as soon as you can.

Apply for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction

Shortened CTR claim form

If you already get or have recently claimed Housing Benefit and you think you might be entitled to CTR, you can apply by filling in a shortened claim form.

Council Tax Reduction (CTR) form

Help with applying

If you need help completing the application form or need to arrange a visit because of illness or disability, please email