List of Council Tax discounts and exemptions

Select a discount or exemption to view further details. If you think you may be entitled to a discount or that your property is exempt, you will be able to apply using the relevant form.

Discount or exemption Description
Council Tax Reduction You may be entitled to Council Tax Reduction if you have a low income or are in receipt of benefits
Students Households where every adult is a full-time student don’t have to pay Council Tax, or a discount will be awarded where there is only one adult who is not a student
Single person household Applies when only one person aged 18 or over lives in the property, or if the other household members are exempt
Second Adult Rebate You may be able to claim Second Adult Rebate if you are the Council Tax bill payer and you don’t get the Single Person Discount because one or more adults live with you
Empty properties The Council Tax payable on an empty property will depend on the circumstances, find out whether you need to pay council tax on your empty property
Disabled people Aims to ensure that disabled people do not pay more Council Tax because they live in a larger property than they would have needed if they were not disabled
Severely mentally impaired An exemption or discount may apply to your Council Tax because you or a member of your household is mentally disabled
Deceased household member It is important that you inform us when someone has passed away, we will need to know about a death in a household so we can update the Council Tax account
Care workers The Council Tax payable could be reduced if one of the residents is employed to provide care to the other household member
Care leavers This scheme aims to support care leavers, up to the age of 25 years old, to help manage their Council Tax
Annexes A discount or exemption will be available for annexes if it is used by the occupier of the main building, a member of his or her family or a dependent elderly or disabled relative
Apprentices If you or someone who lives with you is an apprentice, you may be entitled to a discount
Patients moved into a care home or hospital An exemption or discount applies when the homeowner or tenant is registered permanently into a hospital or care home, and does not intend to return to the household
Members of certain religious communities The amount of Council Tax payable may be reduced if the residents belong to certain religious communities (inc. monks and nuns)
Prisoners Someone aged 18 or over who is on remand, in prison or in some other form of detention is not counted for Council Tax purposes
Visiting forces, international organisations or diplomats Visiting forces, international organisations, or diplomats may be eligible for a single person discount