Second Adult Rebate

You may be able to claim Second Adult Rebate if you are the Council Tax bill payer and you don’t get the Single Person Discount because one or more adults live with you.

What is a Second Adult?

The second adult, living in your home, must be over 18 years and cannot be:

  • Your partner
  • A tenant or boarder who is paying you a commercial rent

How do I apply for Second Adult Rebate?

If you are the Council Tax bill payer, you are the one who must make the claim for Second Adult Rebate.

If you already receive Council Tax Reduction, you do not need to claim Second Adult Rebate. We have already calculated which is better for you.

What proof do you need to see?

You will need to provide proof of your identity and national insurance number.

We do not need to know about your income and savings just those of your second adult(s).The amount of Second Adult Rebate you may receive will depend on the income of the other adult(s).

How is Second Adult Rebate worked out?

If there is more than one other adult living in the household. The income of all the other adults will be added together for our calculations.

The table below shows the percentage of rebate that may be applied to your Council Tax bill

Second adult gross weekly income Percentage rebate
£265 to £344 7.5%
Under £265 15%
Second adult on Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related), Guaranteed Credit, Income Based Jobseekers Allowance, Income Support 25%

Make a claim for Second Adult Rebate